Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Are Stars Only Seen In The Sky?

Image hosted by TinyPic.com
Why am I proud of my skin color in a place that is foreign to my culture? Because I identify myself with those Pinoys who excel in the same field where I am in. Read my story...
"In man is a three-pound brain which, as far as we know, is the most complex and orderly arrangement of matter in the universe. " – ISAAC ASIMOV

The 2004 National Writing Project Annual Convention was held at Hyatt Regency in Indianapolis, Indiana last November 18-20. More or less 1,000 writing project colleagues from across the country gathered once again for teacher-led workshops and demonstrations, keynote speakers and more. This year's event culminated the National Writing Project's 30th anniversary year.

Back home, in the Philippines, during my childhood, I used to stare at the clear nightsky and wonder how stars were created. Right before my eyes, immense numbers and fantastic variety of stars were revealed. They were a source of beauty and inspiration for me.

Eventually, I learned from my teachers in my Alma Mater that stars did not evolve overnight. The two leading types of cosmological theories that time were the "steady-state" and "big bang" theories; which both said that the stars undergo immense processes of alternating expansion and contraction of heat and pressure, before they shine brilliantly in the evening sky.

That moment, as I sat in the ballroom of the Hyatt Regency during the National Writing Project General Assembly, I saw hundreds of brilliantly twinkling stars, the “bigwigs” of Teaching and Education. They were once a humble new teacher like me, who before they became bright stars have proven themselves brilliant in the professional field after they experienced alternating successes and failures, stress and pressure, the “ups and downs” of being a teacher.

I felt the excitement and the positive energy that these hundreds of veteran teachers exude. I am motivated. I am energized. I am inspired.

I am a new teacher. I am new in the system. I am new in America. I am getting better and I feel good. I am going to shine like them one day.

I met one Filipino NWP Teacher Leader, Danilo Baylen PhD, from Florida Writing Project. He co-facilitated with Marie Blake (my mentor in the DCAWP) the workshop on “Being and Becoming Technology Liaisons: A First Timer’s Workshop”.

I immediately recognized him because of that “Filipino speaking English accent” as I listened intently to him during his presentation. He was very good and knowledgeable at what he was doing. I felt proud of myself too. I introduced myself, and after that workshop we had few exchange of stories about our relatives back home. I was sure that I was going to keep in touch with him because I am positive that I will learn a lot from him about NWP and about my role as a Technology Liaison.

I told myself, if he was able to make it as a Teacher Leader I can too.

Good, better, best…never let it rest. I learned this from one of the speakers during the NWP General Assembly. A simple but good guiding principle.

I felt priviledged to be able to participate in this National Convention. It was a great experience for me.

CHICAGO AREA WRITING PROJECT Newsbulletin Dec 2004 issue: "The National Writing Project 2004 Annual Meeting took place Nov. 18-21 in Indianapolis, IN. Writing Project directors and teacher consultants from across the country met to talk and share. Among them was Maria Angala, a first-year teacher from Washington, D.C. With her permission, the following Is a reprint of an e-mail she wrote of her impressions which help remind us how the Writing Project continues to support and inspire us."

5 comments:

bing said...

Go on believing in yourself! Nice to read such inspiration driven post. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks -- one request, can you fix my last name ;-) It needs to have an "n" to it. I will be in Philly this weekend for a leadership meeting. I may call you about the trip at the end of the month. It has been
super-busy!

Danilo

Unknown said...

BING, thanx! Some people really inspire me to maximize my potentials. Your words inspire me too.

DANILO, hope to see you again soon. sorry about the typo error, yep, already fixed that up.

Unknown said...

Hey Jayred, Thanks for letting me know about your childhood dream. Now let's see, what do I know about Switzrland? Nothing, except that my husband's childhood friend is working there as a nurse... hehehe...hey! I'm not a geography teacher. But I will learn a lot from now on, because I will be linking up your blog. Hope it's ok if we link up! Keep writing!

Anonymous said...

Hey Teacher Sol,

This is a very nice experience for you. Kaya nga hindi mo ma-realize this if we confine ourselves within our country. Kasi like the stars there's a lot to be developed and shared. Keep up your good work!

Promethean Planet

DISCLAIMER

The following is the opinion of the writer and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Any view or opinion represented in the blog comments are personal and is accredited to the respective commentor / visitor to this blog. This blogger reserves the right to moderate comment suitability in support of respecting racial, religious and political sensitivities, and in order to protect the rights of each commentor where available.

Pageviews