Sunday, October 21, 2007

I Just Couldn't Sacrifice My Son

Call me crazy, but I believed in the city. My family has lived here for nearly 80 years -- my sister still lives in the house my grandfather bought in 1928. Walking or driving through town, I sometimes feel as though there's hardly a street without memories. And there was this: Our neighborhood had so many families with children, I thought we might finally have the critical mass we needed to help make changes at the school.

Its test scores were unimpressive, and many students received free or subsidized meals. I worried about discipline problems and teachers who dumbed down lessons. But the scores were better than those of many other District schools. And while parents we talked to said that the principal was hard to get along with and didn't believe that parents had any role at her school, they also admitted that they were satisfied with the education their children received. The Washington Post

No comments:

Promethean Planet

DISCLAIMER

The following is the opinion of the writer and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Any view or opinion represented in the blog comments are personal and is accredited to the respective commentor / visitor to this blog. This blogger reserves the right to moderate comment suitability in support of respecting racial, religious and political sensitivities, and in order to protect the rights of each commentor where available.

Pageviews