Thursday, July 03, 2008

D.C. chancellor wants to shake up teacher contracts

I was on my way to my summer school job at Cardozo SHS when this article was emailed to me by a colleague this morning...this is a hot issue here in my school district:
.
Mid-level D.C. teachers who currently earn about $62,000 annually could earn in excess of $100,000 if they agree to give up seniority and tenure rights, under a contract that D.C. Schools Chancellor Michelle A. Rhee is currently negotiating with union leaders, according to sources. Teachers who exercise this option would be evaluated annually and would need to boost student test scores to keep their jobs, a move that Public Impact co-director Bryan Hassel said would be an "earthshaking reform that would have implications everywhere." The Washington Post

I could not get it off my mind while I was delivering my best in the classroom. I am one of the teachers who is affected by this. As soon as I got home, I immediately checked the said article online, and read through the comments about the article. The reason why I kept thinking about it is this (note: just refer to their full comments from The WaPo):
.
- This is a $30,000 pay raise. It is a lot of money. (quandary87 writes).
.
- if you are a seasoned, talented teacher, take the financial incentive....if this administration then attempts to use it against you...In a nation starved for good teachers, you'll easily get a new gig. (concernedaboutdc writes)
.
Here are some more statements on the contrary which also say what I have in mind:
.
- Not all progress can be measured by test scores. (twinkie1cat writes). What is the deal with special education and ESL teachers here, by the way?
.
- No security for one's old age...(Dipsy writes)
.
- ...but you are transferred to a notoriously bad principal who ...does not like you...(twinkie1cat writes)
.
- Not all administrators are fair and competent. (DCTEACHER301 writes).
.
- Who will "administer" the administrators? (marnie4bama writes)
.
- Unfortunately, incompetent teachers can also hide behind that system, & that is highly unfortunate. (marnie4bama writes)
.
- Procedures exist for DCPS to terminate poor performing teachers. (oknow1 writes) -AND- The schools can fire poor performing teachers without taking away their tenure. (bghgh writes)
.
- If I choose the green, my job will depend on kids that come from homes where education, discipline, and structure isn't priority. If I choose the red, I could have a person in the class next to me that is getting paid 50% more than me, only taught two years, never taught "at-risk" students, and do not have the same passion for the children as a proven vet like me. (BigHustla writes)
.
- my concern would be with the future funding of this program (RyanGrant99022 writes)
.
I agree that DCPS really has to throw away the rotten apples, they are a disgrace to the teaching profession. But how can we preserve the good and the best without putting them under the mercy of one person who can give a subjective decision? This is just me thinking out loud...
Surely, this proposal is very tempting for me, especially because I believe, and I can provide data, that I am doing what is best for my students to maximize their potentials. But will I give up my seniority for this (whew!) much salary? After some mental deliberation, I already have a firm answer.

No comments:

Promethean Planet

DISCLAIMER

The following is the opinion of the writer and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Any view or opinion represented in the blog comments are personal and is accredited to the respective commentor / visitor to this blog. This blogger reserves the right to moderate comment suitability in support of respecting racial, religious and political sensitivities, and in order to protect the rights of each commentor where available.

Pageviews