Thursday, December 02, 2010

My friend Jonathan Jou - Featured in the Pictorial DCPS School Calendar

Kudos to my friend, Jonathan Jou for being featured on this month's DCPS calendar and on the DCPS website...

“My grandfather was a high school principal, my father was a college professor for 35 years and my mother was a high school teacher for 30 years. This family legacy inspired me to become a teacher.

“I believe an ESL teacher is here to help students go through the transition to living in this country. I do believe it takes a village to educate a child. As a member of this community, I’m very glad that I can be part of that community to promote students educational success. I believe all my students can realize their American dreams, if they try their best.”

“He’s patient, nice and hardworking. Mr. Jou always told us to do our best to be successful in this country, just like he does his best to help us out on weekends to make sure we’re successful in the American school system.”
Mo Lam, eighth grader, Jefferson Middle School

“When we have some questions, my teacher teaches us on Saturdays.”
Min Huang, eighth grader, Jefferson Middle School

“He’s very patient. He is so nice. He’s like our friend.”
Yuxi Liu, seventh grader, Jefferson Middle School

Jonathan and I are co-teaching a remedial program for our the ELL students at Jefferson; he gives them academic supports in mathematics and I do the reading intervention for two hours afterschool every Monday and Wednesday. We give them the accomodations they need and modify the lessons teaching the concepts in various ways targeting their diverse learning styles. Our collaboration worked effectively in the past and we are determined to continue this partnership of giving our students, who need special supports, the skills and strategies they need to learn the academic standards that are required for them to be successful in this country. 

Jonathan was a recipient of the National Milken Award for Educators (hailed as the "Oscars of Teaching" by Teacher Magazine) in 2007.

No comments:

Promethean Planet

DISCLAIMER

The following is the opinion of the writer and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Any view or opinion represented in the blog comments are personal and is accredited to the respective commentor / visitor to this blog. This blogger reserves the right to moderate comment suitability in support of respecting racial, religious and political sensitivities, and in order to protect the rights of each commentor where available.

Pageviews