Friday, May 20, 2005

Trip To London is Student's Reward and Respite

In my May 13, 2005 entry , I blogged about an exemplary teacher, now I thought of blogging about an exemplary student from Washington DC, 11 year old Milloy. I was so impressed when I first read about him in the April 28th entry of the DC Education Blog. Here's the story...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Back in February the Post's Courtland Milloy profiled eleven year old southeast DC native John V. Boyd. John, a student at C.W. Harris Elementary School, already has an impressive resume which includes a bold streak of entrepreneurship (he grows and sells house plants), academic success and charity work. Recently John was selected to participate in the People to People Student Ambassador Program, which entailed a 20 day trip to England and Scotland. The cost of the trans-Atlantic trip is over five grand which, as you can imagine, requires selling an awful lot of flowers.

Well, the good news is the financial cost of the trip has been raised. In
yesterday's follow-up Courtland reports

"It was time to update a column I'd written in February about his efforts to sell house plants to raise the $5,300 needed for the trip by the May 2 deadline. Thanks to the generosity of Washington area residents, John has reached his goal -- with a few days and a few bucks to spare.

His sources of support and encouragement include adults who admire his commitment to learning and children who see in him a role model for getting through tough times. A Tuskegee Airman has championed his cause, along with D.C. Mayor Anthony A. Williams." READ FULL STORY: THE WASHINGTON POST

On a less joyful note Courtland reports that John is still being picked on / beaten up by other kids in his school for his book-smart ways, and the bullying has increased since the first article appeared in the Post. Casey Lartigue has some interesting thoughts about this that are worth a read.Finally, there was one small blurb in the article that I feel highlights the greatest indicator of a child's success in education--something that is almost never mentioned when talking about education reform--that I feel is worth looking at again.

"I stay on their case," Ellis [John's mother] said. "I yell. I scream. Whatever it takes to make sure they hear me: 'Do not bring home any grade lower than a C, and no more than one of those.' "

Simply put, John has a parent who is involved in her child's education, a parent who sets high expectations for her child to meet, a parent who doesn't settle for just getting by. As Courtland titled the first article "sooner or later, this young man is going places" and when he gets there, like other successful people, he'll have a parent (or guardian) who cared enough to thank for it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Sol , the sun soleil

I am interested with things what you do am 90% deaf... but never been or had special education

did my best lang with my hearing aids....

It breaks my hurt when kids who need special care are being discriminated.... I love compasionate people who give a smile or a future to kids like these

I salute you

SHALIMAR

"The influence of a beautiful, helpful, hopeful character is
contagious."

Anonymous said...

Hi SHALIMAR, thank you for being a consistent reader of my blogs. I am an advocate of exceptional children and of people like you who struggle with life but still find life a blessing. Keep reading my entries here because I will be posting more about teaching practices, issues and experiences about special education. I admire you, though you never had the education that you need, you're still able to maximize your potentials.

Anonymous said...

hi! have you considered using your blog to motivate your students? see Developments in the SG Blogosphere

Anonymous said...

hi! have you considered using your blog to motivate your students? see Developments in the SG Blogosphere

Unknown said...

yep...my students are my priority...i integrate writing and technology in the classroom. See my class digital anthology: www.digitalanthology.blogspot.com

Promethean Planet

DISCLAIMER

The following is the opinion of the writer and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Any view or opinion represented in the blog comments are personal and is accredited to the respective commentor / visitor to this blog. This blogger reserves the right to moderate comment suitability in support of respecting racial, religious and political sensitivities, and in order to protect the rights of each commentor where available.

Pageviews