Saturday, May 21, 2005

The Wind Beneath My Wings

"Others pass the torch, but DC Area Writing Project passes the pen and pencil to change the world". - Cynthia Henderson, 1995 Teacher Consultant

It was supposed to be warm with summer just around the corner, but "old cold spring" decided to have his last dance. Last night with my corporate suit and high heels, I braved commuting with the train and waiting for the bus and walking uphill to the Metropolitan Day School, Northeast, Washington DC. This was a momentous event for the DC Area Writing Project because this marked our "Celebrating Ten Years of Service to District of Columbia Area Teachers and Students.

I met renowned authors/ poets: Eloise Greenfield (Recipient of 3rd Annual DCAWP Award of Excellence) and E. Ethelbert Miller (Recipient of 1st Annual DCAWP Award of Excellence). I bought some of their books and personally asked for their autoghraphs after a little conversation with them. I could write numerous entries here letting everyone know how the DCAWP changed my life as a wannabee writer and as a teacher. I have summed up everything in the Prologue entries in my DIGITAL BOOK and in my reflections as a teacher. The metamorphosis is overwhelming to me.

As one of my fellow teacher consultants, Barbara Graham, puts it: "I thought I learned everything I needed to know about writing in college. DC Area Writing Project proved me wrong. My writing has taken wings since I joined the DCAWP." And for me, I consider my fellow teacher consultants as the wind beneath my wings.

When I woke up this morning, an email from Ajay surprised me:

"Hi Marisol. You might be interested in reading this email. Wow! Am glad my article made it to the archive of the writing project. It must be good for you too. You really answered the questions well.

Leonor, the letter-writer, is an old friend of my sis. They've lost touch until Leonor read my article about you..so she sent me an email and asked about my sister. Small world talaga!"


Curious at what it was about, I scrolled down to check Leonor's email:

"One of our directors sent an email to me asking if I'm interested to read the articles that featured one of our Teacher Consultants in Washington, DC. She's a Filipina kaya ipinabasa sa akin. The article is about blogging in school. Tapos, when I read the name of the writer of the article, sabi ko, wait a minute, parang familiar sa akin ang pangalang ito. So lakas loob, I emailed Annalyn. Small world talaga.

You all must be very proud of her. You know, that article that she wrote about blogging in school was included in our archive. We use this archive as part of the documents to present sa Congress to get funding. I've attached the archive, she's # 9. It feels good kapag may nababasa ka tungkol sa Pinoy dito.


--Leonor Bagamano
Accounting Manager
National Writing Project
University of California"


It feels good too knowing that there's another Filipina working with the National Writing Project. I hope to meet more of us in my upcoming National Conventions in West Virginia and Nebraska this summer.

9 comments:

ajay said...

You go,girl! We're poud of you. I am sure you will meet Leonor. I hope I can meet you too when you go vacationing in RP. Things like this make the work easier, di ba? The factthat something good can come out of the difficult yet difficult things we're doing. Regards and God bless:)

ajay said...

difficult yet noble things we're doing, rather....hahaha

Teacher Sol said...

AJAY,

thank you sa pagpili mo sakin na ma-interview sa Blogging on Education. I didn't even realize that it would make it to the National Writing Project and more especially sa Congress. A couple of months ago we were at the Capitol lobbying for continuous support and a $30M federal grant. Now Leonor said that the article you wrote was submitted with the other important achived articles from the National Writing Project to support the request for that federal grant. If it gets approved, I will make a big contribution to the NWP! That's something noble indeed. I magine what will happen to a country without the teachers teaching writing to the students? Thank you Ajay, keep in touch!

Anonymous said...

Maria,

It was nice seeing you. I wish I had known you were traveling by Metro. I could have given you a ride to a Metro station. Next time, let TCs know in which direction you are heading. Someone may be able to give you a ride home or close to home.

Catherine
DCAWP Teacher Consultant

Teacher Sol said...

Cathy, thanks so much for supporting my class homepage and for leaving an inspiring message to my student. Teachers teaching teachers indeed. By the way, Marie took me to the train station going home. I was so glad to meet you there. Hope to see you again soon.

rolly said...

Way to go, Marisol. Isn't it nice when your efforts are being rewarded. And it's well deserved, too.

Teacher Sol said...

TITO ROLLY, thank you, coming from a brilliant teacher like you, that compliment is an honor. Kamusta na po?

Anonymous said...

hi teacher sol,by june 01, pa ako magba blog.baka pagbalik namin toronto gawa ako review sa mga blog na nabibisita ko na nasa list ko at yung iba ding ka blogpal ko iinterbyuhin ko sila syempre papaalam muna ako sa inyo..pwede po ba?numero uno sana kita na gustong interbyuhin pero mga tanong na simple lamang walang politiks at di showbizzz and dating pansariling pilosopiya lamang..para maka relate ang lahat:)


isa ka sa mga iniidolo ko.

cheers!at pis on earth sa mga mapanuring mata ;)

balik ako bukas d2 sa blog mo.

Anonymous said...

LWS, enjoy your trip! Saw the links you gave me, I meant to reply a longer email to you. Anyway, hit me with your questions for that article you're going to write. I will be so honored to see my blog featured in your blog. Sana lang makita ko na yung entries mo dun bago mo ako ma-feature para makita ko yung akin pag sinulat mo na...hehehe

Promethean Planet

DISCLAIMER

The following is the opinion of the writer and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Any view or opinion represented in the blog comments are personal and is accredited to the respective commentor / visitor to this blog. This blogger reserves the right to moderate comment suitability in support of respecting racial, religious and political sensitivities, and in order to protect the rights of each commentor where available.

Pageviews