Friday, July 29, 2005

Reception For New Jeff Principal

Parents and neighbors are invited to a public reception for Mr. Maa, the new Principal at Jefferson Jr. High, at Westminster Church, 400 I (Eye) St. SW, 7:30 pm Wed. July 27.

Mr. Maa served at Jefferson as Eight Grade Administrator during the 2003-2004 school year. He then served as resident principal at Hardy Middle School in NW D.C. under the New Leaders for New Shools program.

He is a graduate of Syracuse University and has a Masters of Professional Studies in African-American Studies from Cornell University. He has taught middle school social studies and served as a middle and junior high school administrator in Houston, Texas, and the Bronx, New York. (The Southwester, Aug 2005)

There's sunshine after the storm; there goes the cliche, but I believe that's actually what's going to happen to my school, Jefferson Junior High School SW Washington DC. Remember my entry "The Real Score" where I blogged about how my school is getting popular in a negative way? Well, we are hoping for a new beginning this coming school year, as we welcome our new principal.

I was here in his welcome ceremony last night, with two other Pinoy teachers from DC Public Schools. Their children just came in from the Philippines and will be enrolling at Jeff this coming school year. I wanted them to meet the teachers, school personnel, and of course, my new principal.

We walked in the church quietly, a lot of people were there and guess what? We were already LATE, the program was already starting. The principal before last year was there, she greeted me and I told her how much we missed her last year. She said "I am glad you're still there", I replied "yes, I persisted!"

And just when I finally sat dow to rest my butt on the bench, the emcee called my name to give a few words of welcome to my principal. Man! That was unexpected! Here's my brief welcome speech to my incoming beloved principal:

"I was surprised, because I just came in! (laughs from the audience) I am Maria Angala, new teacher at Jefferson Jr HS, this is going to be my 3rd year as a special ed teacher there. I couldn't forget when I was a brand new teacher and Mr. Maa was our 8th grade administrator. I badly needed my supervisor to sign my recommendation letter when I was applying to the Summer Institute at Howard University. Ms. Holmes, the principal during that time was too busy. Then here came Mr. Maa in the hallway doing his rounds. I ambushed him for his signature...

'Mr. Maa please help me, I need a supervisor to sign this'

Without questions, no if's no but's, he signed my paper. And I want to let all of you know how that signature changed my life as a teacher and as a person. I am now a Teacher Consultant to the DC Area Writing Project and their newly appointed Technology Liaison. And that is because of Mr. Maa's signature. I welcome him back to Jefferson Junior HS and I believe he will be a great leader".

14 comments:

Teacher Sol said...

LEADERS are people who strive, reach for excellence, and seek achievement. LEADERS choose. Leaders do not decide. We can recognize leaders.

Mr. Maa, you are a leader-profeeional educator and we the Filipino Teachers support your leadership!

Teacher Sol said...

MAILA, hindi lang co-teachers ang nagbabasa ng blog ko ngayon, pati principal ko. I gave him the link to this entry about him. I am an honest to goodness person and would never risk my job by ranting and rambling about work. I am a proactive blogger and I write inspiring things that would convince anybody that no matter how difficult teaching is, it's very rewarding.

PINOY TEACHERS NETWORK, CHEERS to a new educator-leader!!!

Anonymous said...

good thoughts and best wishes sa school 'nyo Teacher Sol!

RAV Jr said...

wow...what a welcome speech T-Sol. Simple, true and heart warming. You are very inspiring..parang gusto ko na rin yatang bulamlik sa pagtuturo...hehehe...

nga pla, dito sa sinabi mo...

"I am an honest to goodness person and would never risk my job by ranting and rambling about work. I am a proactive blogger and I write inspiring things that would convince anybody that no matter how difficult teaching is, it's very rewarding."

...parang gusto ko na rin lng gumawa pa ng isang blog pra lang sa mga rantings ko, kase dito sa blog ko, halo-halo na, hehehe... ;)

anyway, congrats uli jan at mabuhay ka!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sol, Just want to say hello and greet your School Principal.

ROX, Educational Technologist
Claret School of QC
Philippines

nikki said...

Good luck to your school and your new principal, Mr. Maa!

God bless all of you!

Macross Kitty said...

Hello and have a good day for learning!

Liz,
5th Grade Teacher
Los Angeles Unified School District

BabyPink said...

God bless you, your school and mr. maa.:)

rolly said...

Don't you just love it when your boss is approachable? I love working with people like that.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you Mr. Maa!!! :)

Zarah C. Gagatiga said...

Is Mr. Maa of Asian ancestry? Just curious...:-)

YO SOY EL QUE YO SOY said...

Quite interesting

Anonymous said...

Life is indeed a bag of chocolate. You'll never what you're going to except. Remember, chance favors the prepared mind. People like you could do impromtou talks because you're prepared all the time.

RAY said...

Mukhang napakabusy mam ng summer vacation mo ah. All work and no play. Dyaskeng trabaho talaga yan nakakasira ng blogging.Good luck sa mga endeavors mo at sana magkamayroon ka ng panahon to enjoy the sun while it is still shining on its full glory. Sarap magbeach dala ang laptop hindi para magtrabaho kungdi magblogging.

Promethean Planet

DISCLAIMER

The following is the opinion of the writer and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Any view or opinion represented in the blog comments are personal and is accredited to the respective commentor / visitor to this blog. This blogger reserves the right to moderate comment suitability in support of respecting racial, religious and political sensitivities, and in order to protect the rights of each commentor where available.

Pageviews