Wednesday, August 24, 2005

HARRY WONG...Who Is He?



Inside every great teacher, there is an even greater one waiting to come out.- HARRY WONG
QUESTION: Why am I always talking about Harry Wong?
ANSWER: Because I am a teacher.
Every proactive teacher has to know who Harry Wong is. He is the person that motivates me to succeed; though he doesn't know that he's my role model because we don't know each other personally.
I was introduced to his book, "The First Days of School", when I attended the New Teachers Training offered by my school district. From then on my view about myself as a teacher and this profession changed tremendously. Most of my quotes in this blog and mottos in teaching came from his book. His book is now a bible for me, a major reference, I keep it beside my bed too. It practically guides me on how to become an effective teacher.
Harry Wong is the most sought after speaker in education today. He has been called "Mr. Practicality" for his common sense, user-friendly, no-cost approach to managing a classroom for high-level student success. More than a half-million teachers worldwide have heard his message.
In one of the pages in the book is a certificate which reads: "The teacher in this classroom is a PROFESSIONAL. With the required training, certification, and dedication necessary to provide a QUALITY EDUCATION to all students who enter. The subject is SUCCESS!". Isn't that inspiring to us teachers and to the students?
I am not HARRY WONG, but like him I was expected to be a doctor; like him I exceeded my parents' expectations; like him I became a writer, a scholar, and a teacher.
Like HARRY WONG I ought to make a difference as a teacher...
****************************************************
E-MAIL FROM HARRY WONG:
Maria,

You are welcome to my bio from
www.teachers.net as well as our picture. If that does not work, I can have one emailed to you.

Late news: The readers of Instructor Magazine, published by Scholastic (Harry Potter), asked their readers to vote for the educator or friend of education they admired the most. In their November 2005 issue, they will announce the top 20. Harry Wong is on this list along with Laura Bush, Hillary Clinton, Ron Clark, Marva Collins, Bill Cosby, Howard Gardner, Mel Levine, and Oprah Winfrey.

Best wishes,

Harry W

11 comments:

Nick Ballesteros said...

There are people who excel in what they do, and become inspiration to somebody else. I'm sure personally meeting and talking with Mr. Wong will be a dream come true for you.

Anonymous said...

since we're still fresh on harry wong, here is a link on an article that my co-teacher wrote about her training using harry wong's classroom management techniques -
http://web.xs.edu.ph/issues/2005-May-20/magis/harry.php

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sol! I am a teacher, too, and feel very pleased that a Filipina is doing something like this. I have yet to fully explore the site but let me congratulate you! Mabuhay ka, Kababayan!

Anonymous said...

Hello sis! I am jumping wiith joy yesterday kasi finally i received na may visa. It was really a long process before i took hold of my visa. Alis na pala ko next month. Most probably i'll be there Sept. 25 sa California. Alam mo ba, I was reading your entry about the teacher's orientation and i am so sad kasi i won't be able to attend it to.Sayang it would help me sana. I am aware na mahirap yung work dyan. Mayroon ba kung iba pang preparation na dapat gawin bago umalis? I hope you could give me some helpful tips to be a successful teacher like you. I would appreciate it so much.

Always take care of yourself and your family. Always thank for your blessings.GOD BLESS!

RAV Jr said...

wow, sikat na pla talaga yan si Mr. wong at nimoinated dun sa schlatic something...

musta po dito? busy po masyado yata...hehehe...

yusop said...

Hi Teacher Sol. I wish you all the luck and more success in your opening day. I think you could be another "Harry Wong" in the future, for you yourself continue to inspire a lot of bloggers, and truly a good role model.

Anonymous said...

is harry potter or harry wong somewat related?! oh my! wholly coww!!!

Anonymous said...

hi! hoppin around! abt. the article it would be great if it would be included at the ptn! god bless!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sis!i got the chance to attend a seminar about the book of Harry Wong here in the Phils.I found his book very effective in managing my class.Well,its just right to say that Teaching is Universal.

darlene said...

hello teacher sol! I have been reading your blog for quite sometime now, even prior joining the blogosphere officially.

I have always admired teachers, particularly those in sped. I could only hope that we have the same quality of teachers here in Philippines. I believe that if you have equally competent teachers, the facilities wont be so much of a problem.

Sadly, we don't have that here. I have experienced enrolling my son in an Arts-and-Social-Studies-based curriculum, special school last SY.I sent him back to his previous traditional school this SY and very happy with the decision. My son has ADHD.

If you can visit my blog, i will be glad. Hope you dont mind if i will put you on my links.

Anonymous said...

I tried to call Harry Wong, but I got a wong number (LOL)!

Promethean Planet

DISCLAIMER

The following is the opinion of the writer and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Any view or opinion represented in the blog comments are personal and is accredited to the respective commentor / visitor to this blog. This blogger reserves the right to moderate comment suitability in support of respecting racial, religious and political sensitivities, and in order to protect the rights of each commentor where available.

Pageviews