Monday, August 22, 2005

SHINING STARS for all to see


Cover Design: MARIA CRISTINA KABILING (A Filipina)

Our first day to report back to our respective schools for the School Year 2005-2006 is on Tuesday, August 23. I am very optimistic that this year is going to be a brighter year for me and for the whole Jefferson Junior HS community through the leadership of our new principal Mr. Mensa Maa.

This is going to be my third year of teaching here in the same school district, my last year as a newbie teacher. And I have accomplished a lot, and shared to many veteran and neophyte teachers my best and worst days, the pains and triumphs, all my experiences with my students as a DC Public School Teacher.

I gave lecture presentations to DC Area Writing Project Teacher Consultants, and to teachers taking graduate courses, who gave me the push to go on because of their eagerness to learn integrating writing and technology inside their classrooms. They told me that I am the expert in the field where I am in, and more knowledgeable than they were in the topic that I was going to present. Thanks for their motivation. I feel I am getting better each time I face different groups of veteran teachers during my lecture-presentations.

Last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, I was one of the facilitators during the New Teachers' Orientation in our school district. And since I wasn't able to go to a New Teachers' Induction as big as this (I came in at Jefferson Junior High middle of the school year, remember?), I considered myself a participant too. There were more or less 700 incoming new teachers this school year to the District of Columbia Public Schools, and I saw close to 10 Pinoy new teachers. And guess what, my principal recommended me to be one of the presentors that Thursday to talk on the Survival Kit for almost 30 newbie teachers in my group. How did it go?

This presentation lasted more than 1 hour; I was nervous and freaking out of what other activities to give the participants to keep them inside my room. It was emotional for me because I imparted my own personal experiences as a new teacher. Not very long ago I was in the dark like them. During their first few weeks in school, they are going to feel how it is to be expected to perform like a veteran teacher when it is just their first year of teaching. Ah! I saw fresh faces, full of idealism, eager to go to their classrooms. I didn't want to burst their bubble but I wanted them also to expect the reality that would greet them in their respective schools. I based all my powerpoint presentations from Harry Wong's The First Days of School. I shared with them my personal experiences that I know would help them be educator leaders (not just workers). I wished them the best. I was given a facilitator during my presentation, Ms. Beverly, who gave me full support, assistance and motivation. She asked for my powerpoint presentation to be emailed to her because she said her students need to be "Einsteins" and need the push. I got exceeds expectations and good comments for that presentation.

I was priviledged to work with the hard working people from the DC Public Schools most especially from Logan Office of Workforce and Professional Development. I met teacher leaders who are very inspiring knowing their accomplishments as teachers (National Board Certified, National Teacher Awardees...). I've come to know a Filipina, Maria Cristina Kabiling (cover designer of Shining Stars), who just came in from the Philippines and works for DCPS for eight months now. But she remains humble, smart and who maintains a good interpersonal relationship, very admirable.

I came to know Celine Fejeran better than just seeing her name in the newspapers as the DC Public School's New Teacher of the Year. She is an Asian, from Guam; and she is very inspiring with how organized she does complicated tasks, and how aggressive but polite she deals with people. I was in tears when she gave her speech onstage during the last day of the orientation. I felt every word she said, I saw myself in her shoes, I went through all the situations she mentioned and experienced every emotions she felt.

To all the new teachers who are reading this, you must persist. Any new endeavor may be tough in the beginning. But tough times never last, but tough people do.

NEW TEACHERS' ORIENTATION Powerpoint Presentation (click here)

VIDEO of the presentation (click here)

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maria,

Thanks! What a spark right b/f we get back to our schools. My butterflies are doing somersaults already; it's this way every year right b/f & during the whole first two weeks of school--planning, anticipating, choosing, designing, meeting the students, parents, staff, etc. You are right. The whole orientation program was inspiring. Personally, I enjoyed presenting and helping the new teachers who kindly thanked me at the end. They even applauded! I was surprised---SHOCKED! It's nice to be appreciated once in awhile. I took my niece & her friends to Francis Pool yesterday and while they were swimming, I was reading Wong's book. I do this every year--over & over again. I encouraged my teachers to do the same.

Oh! Be sure to bring a Phillipino dish to the staff potluck on Wednesday. I'm not sure yet what I'll make, perhaps potato salad or pasta & vegetable salad. This is going to be a great year; I can feel it. YEAH!

Maria, you're a great writer; keeping sharing your insights; they're quite moving. See ya soon-

--Monica J.
Jefferson Junior HS
Washington DC

Anonymous said...

I've bee reading your blog......u have accomplished a lot. Keep on shining girl!!! I'm proud of you. Baka mamaya Principal k n h........ingats lageh!!!

Anonymous said...

I spoke on Wednesday in Baltimore County and in Las Vegas on Thursday and Friday and there were many, many Filipino teachers. I believe they have a web site that networks them together.

I leave on Tuesday again for more preschool speeches and will take your letter with me to read in finite detail.

In the meantime, please go to www.teachers.net and read the May 2004 column of mine on Induction and the November 2004 and the February 2005 columns where you will see two PointPoiint presentations.

Best wishes,

Harry W

Anonymous said...

Way to GO, Maria!!


Judith K.
Director
DC Area Writing Project

Unknown said...

Ms. Monica J, thank you for your support and it's so nice to see a co-teacher from Jefferson who was a presenter too. I believe this is going to be a better year for us, our principal promised us that he will bring back the pride of our school. See you on Tuesday. I will definitely bring a Filipino dish on our potluck on Wednesday.

TONI, girl, lurker ka pala sa blog ko ha...paramdam ka naman. Ayaw kong maging principal, maraming trabaho yan, tama na sa akin maging teacher, mas maraming oras sa pamilya ko. Syempre proud Pinay tayo, di ba?

Unknown said...

MR. HARRY WONG, thank you very much for considering to read my letter in one of your speeches, it's an honor! The Pinoy Teachers Network that the Filipino Teachers in Maryland were talking about is the Pinoy Teachers Network: http://pinoyteachersnetwork.blog-city.com , which has been going online for a month now with more than 60 members all over the US, reaching out Pinoy teachers from Spain, Japan Singapore, London...and still growing. I created this website. May I feature you also, since you mentioned to me that you have Filipino connection? I would like to ask your permission to get your bio-data and picture with Rosemary from your website.

JUDITH, thanks so much for everything, you jumpstarted all these accomplishments. See you tomorrow!

RAY said...

bye bye na muna teacher sol. Hasta la vista na muna si goyong at mangogoyong

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again, Teacher/Sis Sol! I really hope to meet you.

Btw, did I tell you that Leti Ho was my dormmate? And that I met Danilo Baylen at an IRA convention? He’s from Iloilo and he studied at the university where my dad was president (it was still a college then)? But we met in the US!


Love,

Sis Bopeep
Maria Lourdes Ledesma Ladrido,Ed.D.
University of the Philippines in the Visayas
Iloilo City, Philippines

Anonymous said...

Maria,

You are our Shining Star for
sure. I continue to be proud of
what you have accomplished in just
2 1/2 years - what a role model
for your peers and what wonderful
assets you bring to your students.

Our team will be presenting to new
Charter School teachers tomorrow
and would love to know what you
believe to be the most important
things that we need to share with
them. Perhaps you would be willing to send me your powerpoint so I
can see what ideas you presented
to DCPS teachers last week.

Congratulations and please
continue to be an inspiration for
others to follow.

Hugs,
Linda R.
DC Public Shools
Human Resource Department

Lei_SATG said...

lots of love, sensei sol. may you touch more hearts and lead wary souls to the right path.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to extend my hearfelt thanks for your work during the New Teacher Orientation. From reviewing your evaluations as a whole, I know that the new teachers found the workshops useful and enjoyable! Having just finished my first year teaching, I know how valuable the the Survival Kit workshops were-- Thank you, thank you, thank you! I hope to work with you in the future. Take care and have a wonderful school year!

-Celine Fejeran

Anonymous said...

Hope to see you soon. It sounds like you're very involved and growing in leaps and bounds!

Susan C.
Teacher Consultant
DC Area Writing Project

Unknown said...

GOYONG, bat ka naman mag-papaalam na? Kakasimula mo lang ah. Hindi ba enjoy ang blogging? Read the last item on my previous entry; bloggers are supposed to have fun. Sige, relax ka muna, balik ka ulit ha!

LIZ D.,Sure I am willing to share this to other DCPS Teachers. Do you plan to put it as an entry in your blog? I am asking your permission to let me do it, I have the cover for Shining Stars and I will also put it there. I will just give a portion of my reflection and then link it to my blog for them to read the full article. How does that sound?

Unknown said...

SIS BOPEEP, yes you've told me that those great teachers are your friends, isn't it that birds of the same feather flock together? I am still planning to feature you as ANG ATING ULIRANG GURO, when can I get your bio-data and picture from you? Hope to meet you one day.

LINDA R., It's payback time, my way of gratitude to the people in the DC Public Schools who helped us, who gave us light during our times of darkness. It wasn't easy, it's very difficult. While I am writing this email now, I am still teary eyed remembering the hard times I went through. How many times did my co-teachers see me crying outside my classroom? How many times did I go downtown to your office to ask for assistance? Many times. But my heart reamined tough tough I feel physically exhausted. I could go on and on relating my ups and downs...but the most important thing is that I was helped. And thanks to you!

The powerpoint presentations I gave during the New Teachers Orientation is attached herewith: New Teachers Orientation PPT

My message to the new teachers:

To all the new teachers who are listening to this, you must persist. Any new endeavor may be tough in the beginning. But tough times never last, but tough people do.

Unknown said...

SUNSET EYES, thanks, you made me smile with being called "sensei". I went to your blog and got the codes, will try that a little later. Rest muna ako, gotta get ready for tomorrow's first day of school.

CELINE F., you did a great job as well; my hat's off to you! Hope you were able to read the last part of my reflection where I mentioned you. You are our Shining Star!

SUSAN C., Glad to hear from you again. I am excited to go to another National Convention in Pittsburg, Philadelphia. My first time was last year in Indiana and it was sooooo great! Now, don't forget to bring an extra luggage for the freebies, haha. I am planning to book a room at Omni where the National Writing Project events are going to be. The price for a double room is pretty reasonable too. I will get back to you as soon as possible, within 2 days. I need to confirm some things first. But I would really love to have the room with you. Can we also drive together? :D

Anonymous said...

Maria,

You are welcome to my bio from www.teachers.net as well as our picture. If that does not work, I can have one emailed to you.

Late news: The readers of Instructor Magazine, published by Scholastic (Harry Potter), asked their readers to vote for the educator or friend of education they admired the most. In their November 2005 issue, they will announce the top 20. Harry Wong is on this list along with Laura Bush, Hillary Clinton, Ron Clark, Marva Collins, Bill Cosby, Howard Gardner, Mel Levine, and Oprah Winfrey.

Best wishes,

Harry W

Anonymous said...

Thank You Maria - as you have suggested, Persisting is integral to success and comes with many rewards.

I appreicate your willingness to share advice and your powerpoint. When your ears are ringing tomorrow it will be because I am telling a wonderful story about a wonderful teacher - YOU!

Enjoy this last day of vacation.

Kindest regards,
Linda R.
DC Public Schools
Human Resource Department

Anonymous said...

Basta Teacher Sol.. Keep up the good work... Lalo kang sumisikat.. Sensya if short lang tong message ko kasi wala ng time eh. weh!

André said...

I think that one of the things new Filipino teachers must immediately face is the culture shock of being a fil-teacher in a western environment.

From your posts and from other sources, it seems that the students there in america are more troubled and aggressive compared to Filipino studes in general.

That I can say from the viewpoint of being a former student, and having conducted a class on myself (just two times, though).

Idealism based on the Filipino perspective of student culture will definitely not work outside of the Philippines.

Unknown said...

MR. HARRY WONG, thanks so much for the permission to feature you in PTN. Also, may I know the link where we can vote for you, I will put the announcement in my entries and the sidebar of my blogs so that more teachers will be encouraged to vote for you. I am sure you have milions of fans around the worl. You books are great!

LINDA R., good luck on your presentation with Charter Schools New Teachers. Thanks also for considering to use my powerpoint presentation and for letting them know about me. Wish us all the best for this school year.

Unknown said...

RICHARD, marami akong natutunan sa buhay eh: "rest if you must but don't you quit". Ang tindi ng dating di ba? Sabi yan ng mga sorority sisters ko...

DRE, idealism doesn't work anywhere. To be able to survive we must be realistic, flexible and resilient. Yan ang dapat tandaan ng mga bagong dating na Pinoy kahit saang bansa na bago sa kanila. Well, you're right, culture shock ang sasalubong sa kanila, dapat maging boyscout...laging handa...haha:D

Anonymous said...

Classes here in Canada resumes 1st week of September. I guess the U.S. starts a little earlier.

Nice presentation Teacher Sol. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria!! :)

I wish you all the best this school year! I also want you to know how much I admire your dedication and passion for your craft!!! Knowing people like you makes me just soooo proud to be a Filipino!!! :)

good luck! and take care always!

-Tinay! (pero "Maria" din dito sa Amerika hehehe)

Anonymous said...

Hello Ms. Angala,

I am elated to know your experience during the New Teacher Orientation was an educational and inspirational one.

May your teaching experience this school year be the best since being in the DCPS family. Thank you for serving the new teachers and working with my induction and mentoring program.


Sonja W.
Supervisory Teacher Coordinator
Office of Workforce & Professional Development
District of Columbia Public Schools

Promethean Planet

DISCLAIMER

The following is the opinion of the writer and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Any view or opinion represented in the blog comments are personal and is accredited to the respective commentor / visitor to this blog. This blogger reserves the right to moderate comment suitability in support of respecting racial, religious and political sensitivities, and in order to protect the rights of each commentor where available.

Pageviews