Thursday, September 29, 2005

You Do Make A Difference



I was so touched by this story. Read the article to know why. I need to do a project in my class similar to this to let my special ed students know that no matter who they are they still make a difference. Also, I will let all the Pinoy Teachers Network members know about this article thru our listserv, they all deserve to be honored with a blue ribbon, and pass on the extra ribbons to their students.

YOU DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE -- Author Unknown

A teacher in New York decided to honor each of her seniors in High School by telling them the difference each of them had made. She called each student to the front of the class, one at a time. First, she told each of them how they had made a difference to her, and the class.

Then she presented each of them with a blue ribbon, imprinted with gold letters, which read, "Who I Am Makes a Difference." Afterwards, the teacher decided to do a class project, to see what kind of impact recognition would have on a Community. She gave each of the students 3 more blue ribbons, and instructed them to go out and spread this acknowledgment ceremony. Then they were to follow up on the results, see who honored whom, and report back to the class in about a week.

One of the boys in the class went to a junior executive in a nearby Company, and honored him for helping him with his career planning. He gave the junior executive a blue ribbon, and put it on his shirt.

Then he gave the junior executive two extra ribbons and said, "We're doing a class project on recognition, and we'd like for you to go out, find somebody to honor, give them a blue ribbon, then give them the extra blue ribbon so they can acknowledge a third person, to keep this acknowledgment ceremony going. "Then please report back to me and tell me what happened."
Later that day, the junior executive went in to see his boss, who had been noted, as being kind of a grouchy fellow. He sat his boss down, and he told him that he deeply admired him for being a creative genius.

The boss seemed very surprised. The junior executive asked him if he would accept the gift of the blue ribbon, and would he give him permission to put it on him. His surprised boss said, "Well, sure." The junior executive took the blue ribbon and placed it right on his boss's jacket, above his heart.

As he gave him the last extra ribbon, he said, "Would you take this extra ribbon, and pass it on by honoring somebody else. The young boy who first gave me the ribbons is doing a project in school, and we want to keep this recognition ceremony going and find out how it affects people."
That night, the boss came home to his 14-year-old son, and sat him down.

He said, "The most incredible thing happened to me today. I was in my office, and one of the junior executives came in and told me he admired me, and gave me a blue ribbon for being a creative genius. Imagine! He thinks I'm a creative genius! Then he put this blue ribbon that says, "Who I Am Makes a Difference", on my jacket above my heart. He gave me an extra ribbon and asked me to find somebody else to honor.

As I was driving home tonight, I started thinking about whom I would honor with this ribbon, and I thought about you. I want to honor you.

My days are really hectic and when I come home, I don't pay a lot of attention to you.

Sometimes I scream at you for not getting good enough grades in school, and for your bedroom being a mess. But somehow tonight, I just wanted to sit here and, well, just let you know that you do make a difference to me. Besides your mother, you are the most important person in my life. You're a great kid, and I love you!"

The startled boy started to sob and sob, and he couldn't stop crying. His whole body shook. He looked up at his father and said through his tears, "Dad, earlier tonight I sat in my room and wrote a letter to you and Mom, explaining why I had killed myself, and I asked you to forgive me. I was going to commit suicide tonight after you were asleep. I just didn't think that you cared at all. The letter is upstairs. I don't think I need it after all." His father walked upstairs and found a heartfelt letter full of anguish and pain.

The boss went back to work a changed man. He was no longer a grouch, but made sure to let all of his employees know that they made a difference. The junior executive helped several other young people with career planning, and never forgot to let them know that they made a difference in his life......one being the boss' son. And the young boy and his classmates learned a valuable lesson, "Who you are DOES make a difference."

RELATED TOPICS: special education, school, teacher

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew this will be of help to you. I was really touched by the article. I could actually do the same to my staff. Pa-high morale sa kanila.

Anonymous said...

Mam, bumibisita ulit. Very touching ang story. Have a great day ma'm.

Anonymous said...

The story struck me right between the eyes. It's an awakening. It's not that I don't know how to appreciate people. I just need to examine my schedules closely and learn how to give up not-too-important things. Honestly, I'm thinking of giving up blogging and spend more time with my kids :-(

darlene said...

I'm so touched by this story. I cant help but also check if I get the chance to acknowledge my kids' lil sweet-nothings.

Macross Kitty said...

SOL, I was touched.

Today I was reading some of the journal entries that my students wrote. I was really touched by what they wrote about helping other people. It was quite amazing.

Now, I undwind and read your blog. Again, I'm reminded of how our actions affect others. I feel bad that I have been a "grouch" today towards a few of my students. I gotta keep reminding myself to be sensitive toward their feelings.

Anonymous said...

hI tEACHER sOL! WAtz up?! tAGal mong di nakabisita sa blog ko ah... Lam kong busy po kayo/... Okay lang yun... Honestly, di ko natapos basahin yung story... Pero out of the title YOU DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE is somewhat kapareho sa BELIEVE IN YOURSELF... We can do it/!!! wE have lots in our plate, ikanga. Ngayon parati kong ini-improve yung self-esteem ko. Minsan kasi nawawalan ako. Pero sabo nga YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE... PINOY, for example ay may ginawang ikakasaludo ko bilang isang pinoy... THE champion of the world- Jade Madela, World Boxing Champion- Manny Pacquaio at kasamahan niyang si Viloria at yung isa.. err.. uhm.. I forgot... na nakalimutan ko.. hehehe. :-) At ang bagong Miss International na si Lara- Guigaman... at marami pang ibang nag-excel sa kanilang napiling larangan. EXCELLENCE IN LIFE.. They are the people who make a DIFFERENCE!!! Mabuhay ka!!! Kaya mo yan.. If others can do, Why can't I....

Anonymous said...

A touching story indeed. I'm just wondering: Is this based on a true story?

God bless!

maks said...

wow great story. sometimes most of us focus a lot on being great and then we tend to forget the simpliest thing in our life. At it's simpliest definition simple things are sometimes the greatest thing we just ignore. :D

Lei_SATG said...

it gave me goosebumps, sensei. all good.

Teacher Sol said...

HELLO ALL!

Hope you're having a great weekend!

NEW PINOY TEACHERS WHO CAME TO MARYLAND

There are more or less 230 Filipino Teachers who came to Maryland last week, including Zarelle (PTN Overseas Moderator). I am going there this afternon to check on them and bring some winter clothes for some of them. I will be meeting with Zarelle and hopefully get the email addresses of the other Pinoy Teachers so they can be helped also through our support system/ Pinoy Teachers Network. We'll be glad to see our network grow and help more Pinoy Teachers around the globe. We will keep you updated and we will be posting some pictures here.

CALLING PTN MEMBERS IN THE DC AREA

I hope the teachers who are PTN members and most especially who are in the DC area can also share the blessings that we have now to them. I know you know how they feel right now because you've been in their situation less than 3 years ago when we were new here. I am calling for you to help our fellow Pinoy Teachers.

Ladynred said...

Very touching story. Napaluha ako!

Anonymous said...

Very touching story indeed, whether based on a true story or not, the moral is sound :)

I'd like to share this passage, very inspirational:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.

"We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you.

"We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we subconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we’re liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

Nelson Mandela said that when he was elected President :)

Promethean Planet

DISCLAIMER

The following is the opinion of the writer and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Any view or opinion represented in the blog comments are personal and is accredited to the respective commentor / visitor to this blog. This blogger reserves the right to moderate comment suitability in support of respecting racial, religious and political sensitivities, and in order to protect the rights of each commentor where available.

Pageviews