Saturday, May 28, 2005

LA COMPUTADORA

Subject: re: Lessons in Spanish

A Spanish teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.

"House,'' for instance, is feminine: ''la casa.''

''Pencil,'' however, is masculine: "el lapiz.''

A student asked, ''What gender is 'computer'?''

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether 'computer'' should be a masculine or a feminine noun.

Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The men's group decided that ''computer'' should definitely be of the feminine gender (''la computadora'') because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;
2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;
3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.

(THIS GETS BETTER!)

The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be masculine (''el computador'') because:

1 In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;
2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;
3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.

The women won.

* A friend from one of my e-groups forwarded this joke. I found it amusing so I thought of sharing it here.
Note: MEN ARE WELCOME TO REACT :D

* I was browsing through the internet when I saw one of my stories in my DIGITAL BOOK published in PinoyZone.com (stories section). Click on the link to read more of my story (which probably you've just read here).

* Since we're talking about la computadora, I learned that Big Blue has just published its employee blogging guidelines and policies. The guidelines do stipulate that what a blogger publishes is his/her sole responsibility. I think this is an important point to highlight. (from The JSpot)

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read this somewhere..here's another reason to believe computers are male..

Big power surges knock them out for the rest of the night. :-)

Anonymous said...

big power surges ha.... ummmmm !!based on the reasoning ---computers are no doubt FEMALES !!HIGH MAINTENANCE.

Punzi said...

Good one! Though I think a computer is still female...

And it's not half the paycheck, it's all

regards and have a great weekend!

Drakulita said...

LOL. Thanks for this one.

I'll be watching out for this thread. The counterarguments are coming!

Unknown said...

MYLES, batchmate! am I thinking what u're thinking?...hahaha...

ARVIN, di ako maka-relate...hehehe...di ako high maintenance. based from experience ba yan? :D LOL

Unknown said...

PUNZI, hey attorney! eto siguro based from experience, kita sa avatar eh... regards to your two adorable angels too!

DRAKULITA, I hope the men visitors of my site find this amusing too and would share their argument ...just for fun di ba? Thanks for being a consistent visitor of both my blogs, this and my DIGITAL BOOK (www.teachersol.blog-city.com).

Anonymous said...

Dagdag lang na baka Masculine nga ang computer lalo na sa advance programs na gingamit rito...kasi they are "user friendly" tsaka karamihan "plug and play na"...kaya lang madaling mag(ka)"crush" at kung nagkaleche-leche na sa pagamit, press ESCape kaagad...di ba mga katangiang pang-lalaki yun? :D

Punzi said...

How about...

A computer is female because it always gets cranky, moody and hangs on you a fixed "periods" every month...then gets cranky, moody and hangs on you on some other random period for no apparent reason at all?

Or...

A computer is female because it overheats when you turn it on and freezes when you turn it off?

But then I digress...

Anonymous said...

funny computer joke! howerya miss sol?

Unknown said...

TITO SAM, Aha! "kung nagkaka-leche-leche na sa paggamit, press escape kaagad"...yun pala ang sikreto dun! Kung totoong group work ito magugulumihanan sa inyo mga ka-grupo ninyong mga lalaki...hehehe

PUNZI, naku, binanggit na ang "dark moods" (PMS ba yan?) wala kaming panalo dyan.

Unknown said...

JA, I like this joke too. It makes you think. I'm alright, haven't been in touch with you lately.

**** Sabi ng asawa ko, kita raw nya kung gano ka-effective ang CTRL+ALT+DELETE, katangiang panlalaki raw yun, shut-up na sa nagging ng asawa...GRRR@#$%!!!

Jealine Bernabe said...

Please visit my blog this is the address http://www.jealine-mhp.blogspot.com/ i really like your proud spirit of being a Pinay and so am i too. I am 10 and happy to be born in the 90's . Just e-mail me your e-mail address. This is my e-mail ad jealinebernabe@yahoo.com 'cause i will update you on what's happening here in the Phil.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to learn spanish... i just dont have the time...

Unknown said...

JEALINE, left a message in your blog. Good to hear from you, read your blog and your entries are very refreshing. Reminded me of my childhood when I was your age, no worries and carefree!

MARIEL, believe me its an advantage if you know Spanish here in the U.S.

Anonymous said...

myles/sol,

what did i tell u, computers are
females, they have to be mainted
to work properly or they wld act
up. peace...

Anonymous said...

You got me there Arvin hehehe… but
I still think computers are male,
heres why…

Computer Files are very organized
and functional when you first
bought it –over time they become
an "UNORGANIZED SLOB" hehe.. Their
files needs to be re organized to
make some space and be functional
again..nyahahaha!

no offense to all the guys.. :-)

Drakulita said...

LOL. Ang daming hispanics kasi jan. i went to one of the small museums in nyc and a filipina working there thought i was hispanic! tapos in the airport, a woman asked me in spanish if I speak her language, I told her no but she kept on asking me questions which I could only understand quite a bit (I took up 12 units of Spanish but I never really learned much since I was lazy plus Spanish-speakers talk too fast!!!)

Pero I regret not studying Spanish as best as I could have done. It can be quite a tool. ;)

Unknown said...

ARVIN, hahaha, I think that is very true with me "they have to be maintained or else they would act up...ask my husband.

MYLES, good take! Now that is true with my husband! Ups! glad he doesn't read my blog...

Unknown said...

DRAKULITA, TRUE!same feeling I have with my Spanish Class now I am planning to enroll and re-learn everything from my college Span 1&2. I got a very good grade there though so I guess re-learning would be easy now.

Anonymous said...

SOL, reiner is so right, whn the wife wld nt stop bothering or harrassing the husb, just like whn the cpu is acting up, you ctrl+alt+delete to do a warm boot. reset the system, get the wife straightened out. reiner, you hit it right on the head pare, sometimes we need to reboot the system. he he he ! pag nakita ito ni mrs, i would end up sleeping in the sofa tonight.

Anonymous said...

Here's my final conclusion about computers..since they have female and male characterisitcs..I think beyond doubt, computers are GAY..nyahahaha!!

Unknown said...

ARVIN, hay naku magsama kayo ng asawa ko @#$%grrr!

MAILA, yep right! siguro nga...hahaha...

Promethean Planet

DISCLAIMER

The following is the opinion of the writer and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Any view or opinion represented in the blog comments are personal and is accredited to the respective commentor / visitor to this blog. This blogger reserves the right to moderate comment suitability in support of respecting racial, religious and political sensitivities, and in order to protect the rights of each commentor where available.

Pageviews