Wednesday, June 08, 2005

AUTISM: Remembering my Legacy to the Filipino Children

Image hosted by TinyPic.comImage hosted by TinyPic.com
One hundred years from now ...
It will not matter what your bank account was,
The sort of house you lived in,
Or the kind of car you drove ...
But the world may be a better place because
YOU were important in the life of a CHILD!
.
I call myself an accidental Special Educator, because it wasn’t my plan to be in this field. I finished BS Family Life and Child Development in the Philippine’s most prestigious University. My childhood dream was to become a doctor. And I was in medicine proper, in full scholarship, when I realized I was called for another profession.

I may have failed everybody but I did not fail myself, I am now in a better position. I am a proud Special Education Teacher. I don’t look after people’s physical health but their children’s mental health. I don’t dissect people’s brain but their minds. I don’t open people’s hearts but I am able to touch their hearts. Most importantly, I am able to save their lives in a different way.

Everything that my teachers told me in Elementary and High School was imbedded in my memory – the virtues, knowledge, values and principles. I owe everything that I am now to all the people who were around me, pushing me up. I am grateful to them most especially to the two most important people in my life – my parents and my teachers. Yesterday, they taught me how to aim for success. Now, as a teacher, is my time to shape tomorrow’s generation.

Indeed, God works in mysterious ways.

My exposure to Special Education at the Center for Developmental Intervention Foundation at the Philippine Children’s Medical Center has left me deeply encouraged to be with special children who are in need of time and affection. I expect myself to hold on to my advocacy of making a big difference in my students' lives. Working with exceptional children made me realize that, just like the regular children, they need attention and someone to make them feel important. I am willing to be the professional teacher who would fill-in the hole in their hearts. If only they would let me.

Funshine - “being bright while having fun”. That was our motto, which suggested a developmental philosophy of teaching students. The logo was a smiling bright sun, with eight rays. Why the sun? Why the sol? It came from my name, Marisol.

I miss how the parents and my students called me Teacher Sol.

I started the schools with just 4 tutorial students. The students grew to more than 50, with 8 employed teachers before I left the Philippines.

Since its inception summer of 1998, my schools has managed exceptional children who needed academic follow-up and advanced lessons from pre-school to high school, refreshment and review sessions for the next school year, as well as tutorial and therapy sessions for children who are exhibiting infantile autism, ADHD, language disorder, and learning disability.

A lot of entrepreneurs became instant millionaires because of this business of putting up a private school. There was the business but I was not earning from it. Why? I charged a very minimal tuition fee. Because the parents of my students would not be able to afford if I asked from them the prevailing rates for such services we offered.

I am not an entrepreneur. I am a teacher.

I founded this school when I was 23 years old, I had accomplished a lot for this Center until I left for the US at 29.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello! wow ang galing naman...congrats to Sol...very well done..thanks for sharing..

Anonymous said...

you are one of those I find sensible and interesting to read. You have a great day and all my respect for what you do. keep well

Anonymous said...

Knowing that you are really helping people is more rewarding than riches will ever be. Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

wha? no golden handshake, affiliate golden parachute for u at the center you started. rotten deal for u Teach, anyways livin n da USA was the compensation for ur hard work n dedications.

UNCLE FOTO. said...

wha? i was just gonna sleepa in the sofa whena i passa byeya in ya nice sitah, readah your posta and i was amazesa, goodah topica.

i was so busy no time for juici anywaysi, the interviewi is almosi compliti.

bwahahahi, btw saw rev Jessie Jackson, his rhymin is catchin me in the bitchin

keepupa gooda worka teacha.

Unknown said...

AUNTIE EMMA, thanks for visiting my site, post anytime!

GARRETT, thank you for your kind words...

Unknown said...

PIMME, I feel honored by your compliment, thanks...

AIR MILIKAY, you're so funny, a kid at heart! My siblings and I used to play around with words too when we were younger.

nikki said...

i wish you were teaching na when some of our filipino politicians were still in school, baka sakali lumaki silang may puso!

thank you teachersol for caring. God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Sun, sol in spanish. Fits you. You brighten up these little angels' lives.

You mentioned ADHD. I only heard about such in western countries. I had a student whose daughter was diagnosed with ADHD. She was mad because all she heard them say was let her be on medication. Is there no alternative?

André said...

Teaching regular classes requires a lot of patience. Teaching special classes requires even more. And you didn't just teach, you started a school.

Apir Great Teacher Sol!

lws said...

Dear Teacher Sol,
Ayos naman ako dito humihinga pa.mainit ngayon dito .pero ayos lang.

Napakapalad ko talaga dahil nakapagbabasa ako ng tunay na guro.

Sanay madami ka pang maturo sa'ming taga subaybay.

avid reader,
lws

p.s.
kelan mo papasa yung quiz mo sa'kin?hehehe ang tagal tagal na nun ah!hmmmp!muahhhhh *kiss*

-ako uli-("_")

Anonymous said...

teacher sol: also you are responsible for linking fabulousfilipinas movement with the "yang ang pinay" movement. you joined both, and i find yours and then i found theirs through your blog!!

Unknown said...

NIKKI, teachers are not the only instruments of change, the parents' role is more important.

EVI, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is a global problem, more and more countries are now making peole aware of this condition which occurs not only with children but with adult. I first learned about this from Dr. Letty Ho, former Dean of the UP College of Education, a Clinical Psychologist, and an advocate. Yes there are alternatives to medication, like behavior modification but one has to be highly trained for this and follow up at home is important too. The internet has a lot of information on strategies or how to deal with an ADHD child/person.

Unknown said...

JAYRED, is your sister a teacher in Switzerland too? Believe it or not I started the school with P300.00, only for school supplies and a little decorations for my small tutorial room in the house I was renting. I don't have moolah then, being "tanan" and just given birth to my daughter. I started this school during our darkest times, no money, nobody there for me. Even my parents were surprised on how I was able to pull this through. Well, good deeds pay off.

DRE, apir tayo dyan!!!

Unknown said...

LWS, mainit din dito sobra, tapos kahapon nasira pa ang fuse sa classroom ko. Nawala ang aircon, gusto ko na talagang maiyak!It's 98F here. Anong temprature dyan? Weekend po ma'am sabay meron din akong isa-submit kay Nao at Soul-Seeker. Hay! Sorry po late ako, daming trabaho. ONE WEEK NALANG! YEY! Makakahinga na ako ng maluwang!

PERLA PAREDES DALY, thank you for letting me know that I did a good job for being a proud Filipina, of linking up Fabulous Filipinas and Yan ang Pinay. Never thought you will notice it. Thanks for visiting my site.

Ka Uro said...

sana marami pang teachersol. have you ever thought of setting up something similar to funshine over there in seattle?

holly said...

"dre said...
Teaching regular classes requires a lot of patience. Teaching special classes requires even more. And you didn't just teach, you started a school"

I agree with Dre - being a teacher takes so much patience! I don't know how I would do with special education. And I sure haven't come close to attempting to start a school! What wonderful experiences you have had!

Unknown said...

KA URO, nope, I'm happier being an employee than being an administrator...hahaha :D. I am in Washington DC po, not in Seattle, Washington which is another state here. Have a good weekend po!

HOLLY, advocacy, passion and a lot of patience is what keeps me going. You & I and all the teachers' task: to take a lot of live wires and see that they are well-grounded... *wink*

nikki said...

yes, tama nga yon. pero it seems that their parents also failed. ang gulo ngayon dito...

lws said...

walanjo. ala nang bumibisita sa blog ko. sabagay,hehehe ayos lang hehehe

napakahirap talagang magmarket ng blog. kelangan ko ng tyaga at sangkatutak na creativity. kaya nga bow ako sa mga lords of da blog na anggagaling. balang araw magiging ganun din ako…

eniwei, sira naman kasi pc ko kaya mejo di ako makapagsulat gaano pinilit ko lang yung taga ayos ko kasi iba etong nabili ko di ko alam configure laging dns error.

aaaaaaaaarghhhhh!!!!

Unknown said...

NIKKI, these parents of these politicians, they failed, maybe during their times they were politicians temselves and they're just pasiing on the "tradition"...hayyy...too bad, that the people who really know how to run the country are busy teaching in school.

LWS, hay, busy pa but I haven't forgotten the Q&A, i will go over it this weekend, promise yan. Mahirap nga mag form ng blog circle, just keep on blog hopping and making new friends. Baka kailangan mo palitan yung black lay-out mo, gloomy ang dating eh, payong "teacher" lang...hehehe

Anonymous said...

When u HELP a child better his life thru what u do marisol, there is no $$$$ figure tht u can PLACE
on that. like u sd, if u charged the going rate, not a lot of parents can afford that.like the mastercard commercial :
tuition fee ----- certain amount
helping a child -- priceless
money and wealth can do lots of things, but it cant buy happiness.
why are the multimillion dollar athletes who have everything they want still at times resort to drugs, commit suicide, because they are very lonely inside. they are not happy. RICKY WILLIAMS, the running back for the miami dolphins who was making millions of dollars suddenly retired, he said he ws not happy with playing football any longer, and there is no amount of money that the dolphins can pay him to make him stay. he pursued what he wanted, that is traveling the country. THE similarity wth u marisol, is u went into this business not to be a millionaire but to help children. u are doing what mkes u happy.

Anonymous said...

"I am not an entrepreneur. I am a teacher". --> winner ang line na yan =)nkaka inspire blog mo =)

Unknown said...

ARVIN, Teachers are not in private practice. We are in the helping and caring profession, a service profession to help people enhance the quality of their lives.

LANEE, The mediocre teacher tells, the good one explains, the superior one shows, the great one inspires. Thanks for letting me know that I belong to the latter category.

Anonymous said...

hello teacher sol. I am a graduating psychology student sa isang exclusive school in manila. I was looking for some articles about exceptional childern sa net, pero ang nakita ko ang blog mo... i was inspired by you and your passion sa work mo. ang galing talga.... di mo alam how you and your blog helped me--thank you!

Unknown said...

SHA, thank you for the having the time in your busy schedule to read my blog, it only means that I have entries that are worth reading :D nakakataba ng puso.

EDWINA, let me know how I can help you more with your classworks, I'll be very willing. I was a student like you and I would feel helpless and frustrated when I don't get the help that I need with my assignments in class. Let me help you then. Thanks for letting me know that I inspire you.The mediocre teacher tells, the good one explains, the superior one shows, the great one inspires. Thanks for letting me know that I belong to the latter category.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Teacher Sol!

It must be quite tough to be teaching in an inner-city school! I admire your decision to do so, and also the fact that you seem to be doing quite well at it (and enjoying yourself in the process), language challenges not withstanding. :-) Truth is, I admire the fact that you founded a school when you were only 23…that’s actually one of my (many dreams…to start a school or an educational foundation…and you’ve already done it!

I’ve been reading your blog regularly since I came upon it and I enjoy reading your entires, that’s why I linked you from my blog. So please feel free to link back and read my entries as you wish. I find it great to be able to swap stories and life lessons with “fellow adventurers” like you.
:-) Have a fun and relaxing vacation!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
You have a very good blog here. I enjoyed reading the posts here today. I'll definitely be back. Keep up the great work.
alternative health
www.alternativehealthreporter.com

Promethean Planet

DISCLAIMER

The following is the opinion of the writer and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Any view or opinion represented in the blog comments are personal and is accredited to the respective commentor / visitor to this blog. This blogger reserves the right to moderate comment suitability in support of respecting racial, religious and political sensitivities, and in order to protect the rights of each commentor where available.

Pageviews