Saturday, July 09, 2005

Newbie Teacher Leader

The noblest victor is he who conquers himself. -Dhammapada:103

As a teacher who participated in the summer institute only last year, who is just completing her second year of teaching, who is new in the country of America and the American Educational system, I was nervous as I was preparing the hand-outs for the workshop I was conducting that afternoon during the DCAWP quarterly meeting which was held at Eastern Senior Highschool, Washington DC.

Within minutes after I entered the classroom of DCAWP Teacher Consultant Sandra B. (journalism teacher who hosted the meeting), I was already talking with the true-blue professional teachers of DCPS from different schools in the district. We all came together easily because we all are advocates of writing. Judith K., Ardell T. , Pauline B. , and Liz D. did their very important announcements about the NWP Spring Meeting and The Summer Institute Recognition before I was asked to do a workshop about "Doing the Blog".

I was so nervous because these people infront of me who were going to listen to my first presentation in my whole life are all veteran teacher consultants who are used to giving presentations to novice teachers like me. Here I was about to give a piece of what I think is important to me, weblogging.

The Eastern Senior High School Computer Lab educational technoligist happens to be the husband of my co-teacher at Jefferson Junior High School. I was thinking what my co-teacher would think of me..."a trying hard neophyte teacher embarrasing herself infront of these teacher consultants"... She will surely be surprised.

When I started out introducing myself as the new DCAWP Technology Liaison, words just flowed out easily. I was eagerly sharing with them how I got hooked with blogging and how blogging changed my life as a writer and as a teacher of writing. They were in total awe! They couldn't believe how powerful this new technology is when it comes to writing, student-teacher-collaboration, publishing, everything!!! I walked them through the DCAWP blog after a brief blog introduction.

The DCAWP blog is our official blog which I created and maintained since I was appointed as the DCAWP Technology Liaison. Yes I was being paid for doing this! Not only that, DCAWP sends me to various educational technologist trainings in various states in the country all expenses paid (plane tickets, hotel accomodation and food). This year I am going to National Conventions in Nebraska, Virginia, and Pittsburg.

THE SUN will shine brighter in summer, that's a promise!

22 comments:

Zarelle said...

wow that's great! sarap naman that you're being paid to do something you would've done anyways. goodluck on your conventions and enjoy your summer!

Anonymous said...

good job sol. u are like a professional sports athlete. u get paid for something that u like to do. and wld probably do it for free if u had to. say hi to reiner and rhai for me. also on ur tagboard. yung nagtatago, i was nt tlking about u, yung tinawagan mo.
wink wink....

Renee said...

What a wonderful way to get even more out of the experience of blogging...learning more about the new technology and being PAID for it!

(p.s. I finally replied to your RECITATION post. See the answers in my blog.)

Anonymous said...

I understand the feeling Teacher Sol. When I was still teaching back home, I was unlucky (or should I say fortunate) to be chosen for evaluation by Dr. Isagani Cruz himself during our university's accreditation. Knowing Dr. Cruz's impeccable qualification as an educator, I got distracted for a while when I saw him enter my room. But I was able to maintain my composure and focus on my lesson. I don't know how I was rated by one of the pillars of Philippine education. But it was surely a proud moment for me.

Unknown said...

PICHAPIE, do I make my country proud with what I am doing here? we are all counting on you too, do the same when you get here, pay the grace forward...

ARVIN, sometimes it gets tiring too, I should be on vacation this summer. But my summer is full with Professional Development Trainings. I will be in Baltimore, Maryland on Monday for a 3-week training/ assessment for the National Board Certification candidates. I will be blogging from there. Sakit pa rin ngipin ko eh...Groggy na ako sa pain killer.

Unknown said...

RENEE, indeed the wonders of blogging is getting into me, I'm beginning to be an advocate of blogging now telling all my co-teachers here and giving workshops on integrating writing and technology (blogging in short). By accepting the position of Technology Liaison with the DCAWP, pinangatawanan ko na ang pagiging blog addict.

JOHN CLARK, I bet u did well in that lecture with Dr. Cruz. The university got it's accreditation? U're a part of the success.

jonasdiego said...

Hi, Teacher Sol,

Sorry hindi ko napadala kahapon yung logo. My net connection had problems again.

Anyway, here are the two choices. Pick the one which you think will represent the group best (or other suggestions for a logo if they don't hit the mark) tapos I'll color that one and send you the final product.

You can find them here:

Logo 1

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/jonasdiego/PinoyTeachersNetworkLogo2.jpg

Logo 2

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/jonasdiego/PinoyTeachersNetworkLogo1.jpg

Anonymous said...

Sister, I'm so proud of you! Ang galing mo talaga! I wish you all the success in your endeavors. Pag rich and famous ka na sa DC, wag mo akong kalilimutan ha :)

RAV Jr said...

wow, wow, wowwwww! soaring high tayo ah, hehehe....

hmmm...bka pwede manghingi ng konting power jan, hehehe...

seriously, im so happy and inspired by your achievements there...wow...im so proud!

keep it up!

nikki said...

galing talaga! keep up the good work. aabangan ko ang mga shining moments mo this summer.

God bless!

bing said...

hi sol,

there is a reason to everything... and the reason, this time, is YOU! while you are promoting BLOGGING among your crowd, they got interested and were awed because you love the whole of it. even just by reading you in your blog, they will be lured because of your passion for it.

keep it up and congratualtions!

how's are you now?

(thank you for gracing the new site of Sa Aming Wika)

bing said...

oops - how lang yun... typo error, binura kasi yung naunang sentence he he

Anonymous said...

teacher sol< miss ko na kayo!!!!! dami mo na accomplishments sana kami din...khit half of your success na meet namin..congrats u reaped what you,ve sowed. 4GET ME NOT TEACH I ALWAYS THANK YOU.....

Unknown said...

JONAS DIEGO, ikaw talaga, naka-announce na dito sa blog ko, surprise sana yan..hehe. I left a message to you na.

PATRICE, I was watching "Legally Blonde 1" last night, I again cried (drama queen) because I saw myself in her shoes. I took the moral lesson of the story "Have faith in people. And most importantly, have faith in yourself". It's the passion in what I do, girl. I saw the Part 2 of it 2 weeks before I got here; it was shot here in Washington DC.

Unknown said...

DOPS, soaring high din naman ang blog mo ah, I see to it naman I give a piece of what I have. Maya-maya lang tingnan mo, sikat na rin yang blog mo dahil sinunod mo ang payo ko sayo, hehe.

NIKKI, natutunan ko ito, sikreto ko pero i-share ko na sayo. "Good better best never let it rest, until the good becomes better and the better becomes best." Bata ka pa, malayo pa rin ang mararating mo.

Unknown said...

BING, Yep, I guess my passion for blogging is really contagious. I am spreading the virus here, haha. I am still in pain because of this tooth, Aug 8 pa naka-sked ang root canal ko. Groggy na ako sa pain killers, parati akong tulog!

TEACHER BILLY, Makakalimutan ko ba naman ang mga tumulong sa akin a iniwan ko na legacy sa Pilipinas? Thank you for letting me know that I've helped you in my littlest ways, pay the grace forward...

RAV Jr said...

hahaha...tyyy t-sol! hehehe...

vonjobi said...

wow congrats! bakit parang sirang plaka ako dito? puro na lang yata "congrats" ang comment ko. ah alam ko na, ganun ka lang talaga kagaling. yan ang pinay!

meron nga pala akong comment sa blog ni patrice. special mention ka =)

S.T.P.Peralta said...

WOW! Congrats for a job well done! Galing talaga ng Pinay =)

Anonymous said...

Hi marisol,kamusta? it was one boring night that i can't go back to sleep dahil my husband was called to work due to an emergency at work, that i decided to surf on the net. I love reading inquirer,then i started reading your blogs from bottom to top. It was really good, brought smiles and tears to my eyes, siguro tipikal pinoy pa rin ako, very sentimental. I am very happy for you.

I went to sleep that night with a smile and believing in "hapilly ever after stories". Take care,

we live in the caribbean, we've got no yatch to invite you to but we got everyday heavenly views of the caribbean seas, cruiseships, yatchs and palms.

Unknown said...

DOPS, no problemo!

VONJOBI, hehe, wala akong problema dyan sa sakit mo, nakakahawa rin ano, at least mas binabasa ko na ang sinusulat ko bago ko i-publish ngayon, hehe. Pero I'll never know, beep ka lang ha. Pag mga estudyante ko, nag-uunahan pa yan makakita ng error sa mga trabahao ko, kasi may treat sila pag may nakita silang mali sa ginawa ko sa pisara. That's ok I guess, I'm only human...

Unknown said...

LANEE, ba't naman naka-side view ang picture mo? Di ko makita kagandahan mo :D Thanks for the kudos *wink*

NORINA, I would love to visit the Carribean; hopefully one day we can go there for a vacation then we'll hook up with you so you can take us around and see the "heavenly views of the caribbean seas, cruiseships, yatchs and palms.

Promethean Planet

DISCLAIMER

The following is the opinion of the writer and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Any view or opinion represented in the blog comments are personal and is accredited to the respective commentor / visitor to this blog. This blogger reserves the right to moderate comment suitability in support of respecting racial, religious and political sensitivities, and in order to protect the rights of each commentor where available.

Pageviews