Saturday, January 13, 2007

NATIONAL BOARD CERTIFICATION: Enhancing Social Development: Entry 3



I just finished the second draft for my Entry 3 portfolio for my National Board Certification. Thanks to my coPinoy Teacher, Claire, for doing the editing of the content for me. My co-NBC candidates who are taking the NBC Prep course with me also went through some of my works earlier during our class at the George Washington University.This is what I was able to do so far, still on draft. "It's not yet over 'til the fat lady sings"...

- Written Commentary (13 pages) that provides a context of my instructional choices and describes, analyzes, and reflects on how I design and implement meaningful instruction in social development that facilitates the student's participation in the group and/or environment.

- Student profile (3 pages)
- Instructional Approach (5 pages)
- Analysis of Video recording (2 pages)
- Reflection (3 pages)

- One Video Recording (15 minutes) that shows me guiding the student's learning in the experiences that I have designed for her.

Here's some bits and pieces on my write-up:

ENTRY 3: PROFILE C. A.

I am presently teaching all subjects: Math (12 students), English (15 students), Reading (15 students), and Science (13 students), Social Studies (13 students) to a self contained class diagnosed with Emotional Disturbance (ED), Learning Disability (LD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD) and/or Mental Retardation (MR).

In this small group setting, I have been using behavior modification with positive reinforcement and...

C is a child who experience great difficulties...

Significant emotional problems have interfered...

During the early part of the school year, we met as a team ...

*****************************
I found a very good reference for this portfolio entry online: Promoting Social SuccessA Curriculum for Children with Special NeedsBy Gary N. Siperstein, Ph.D., & Emily Paige Rickards, M.A.

This book has a lot of information on improving the social skills of students with mild to moderate disabilities and their peers. Field-tested with 400 elementary school students, this curriculum focuses on developing the cognitive skills behind appropriate social behavior rather than teaching children a set of specific behaviors to enact. Along with a thorough overview, teachers will get 66 activity-based lessons on social skills, organized around topics that build on each other. Students will learn to:
- assess their own emotional states and develop new coping mechanisms
- identify and interpret social cues and other interpersonal dynamics
- set appropriate social goals, generate problem-solving strategies, and think about the consequences of their actions
- consider characteristics of good friendships and explore ways to improve their relationships

Take it away from Amazon.com colleagues...

*** Please see the right sidebar here for more of my National Board Certification candidacy chronicles

No comments:

Promethean Planet

DISCLAIMER

The following is the opinion of the writer and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. Any view or opinion represented in the blog comments are personal and is accredited to the respective commentor / visitor to this blog. This blogger reserves the right to moderate comment suitability in support of respecting racial, religious and political sensitivities, and in order to protect the rights of each commentor where available.

Pageviews